Dave Roe Obituary: Nashville Bass Legend and Famous Musician dies at 64

Posted by Florance Siggers on Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Nashville, Tennessee – In a heartbreaking announcement, the music community in Nashville and beyond is mourning the loss of a true legend, David Roe Rorick, affectionately known as Dave Roe. He passed away at the age of 64. Born on June 20, 1959, in Shreveport, Louisiana, Dave Roe’s love for music began early in life. His talent and versatility as a bassist propelled him to collaborate with some of the biggest names in the music industry, ultimately becoming an integral part of Johnny Cash’s iconic sound. Beyond his musical prowess, Dave Roe was known for his warm personality, humility, and dedication to his craft, leaving an indelible mark on the country and rock music scenes.

The esteemed bassist and former member of Johnny Cash’s band passed away, leaving family, friends, colleagues, and fans devastated. The news was confirmed through a heartfelt post shared by JC Cole & Folsom ’68: A Johnny Cash Tribute, expressing their honor to have known Dave Roe, Johnny Cash’s Bass Player for the last 13 years of Johnny’s Career.

Thomas Gabriel shared,

I’m still shock over losing my friend and fellow band mate Dave Roe. His humor, insight, talent and rock steadiness will be missed. Dave literally put down his instrument after two standing ovations. I was blessed enough to be with him when he did. We will see you farther down the road my friend.

Ray Scott pour tribute by stating:

Extremely saddened to hear of my favorite bass playin buddy, Dave Roe has gone on to join the Heavenly band. The man had some amazing stories.. and what a wonderful guy he was.. Dave, I’ll miss ya pal. RIP

Crystal Shawanda also share her grief on Dave Roe’s death,

Absolutely heart broken to wake up to the news that our dear friend and mentor Dave Roe has passed away. Dave watched me grow up,I’ve known him since I was a kid playing for tips on Broadway,he would be playing at Roberts a few doors down and he’d come over to Tootsies and watch and was always so encouraging. He knew Dewayne from years before that,and was always pushing Dewayne to do better and be better. He played on every album we produced on ourselves,and other countless artists we produced. He taught us so much in the studio through the years,and pushed Dewayne to rise up to his potential as a producer. He was sought after in the studio recording with everyone from Cee Lo Green,to Chrissy Hynde,and back in his touring days he did time with Johnny Cash and Dwight Yaokam on the road. He was a legend in our house and hearts,and I still can’t believe it. Nashville won’t ever be the same,at least for us. Sending prayers for Dave’s journey home,and for his family and all who loved him ♥️

Dave Roe’s musical journey commenced in the late ’60s and ’70s when he first embraced the bass guitar, immersing himself in the vibrant world of funk and R&B bands. However, it was his move to Nashville in the early ’80s that truly marked the beginning of his extraordinary career ascent. Joining Jerry Reed’s band catapulted him into the limelight, setting the stage for his remarkable musical voyage. Known not only for his musical genius but also for his friendship, inspiration, and sense of humor, Dave Roe was regarded as one of the finest bass players the world has ever known.

In the early ’90s, Dave’s journey took a monumental turn when the legendary Johnny Cash invited him to join the Tennessee Three, a turning point that ignited Dave’s enduring passion for the upright bass, particularly mastering the art of slap bass. Over eleven extraordinary years, Dave’s distinctive bass notes became an integral part of the American Recordings sessions produced by the iconic Rick Rubin, as he stood beside Johnny Cash. Dave Roe’s basslines resonated through numerous hits by a diverse array of artists, leaving an indelible mark in the music industry.

From CeeLo Green to Chrissie Hynde, Faith Hill to Ray LaMontagne, and many more, Dave Roe’s contributions were unparalleled. He toured alongside music legends, leaving audiences awestruck by his talent. Whether sharing the stage with Chet Atkins or being the backbone of Dan Auerbach’s East Eye Sound house band, Dave Roe’s influence was far-reaching.

Dave Roe’s legacy will endure through his timeless contributions to music, inspiring generations to come. Our thoughts go out to his family, friends, and all who had the privilege of knowing this musical giant. Dave Roe’s memory will forever resonate in the heart of Music City. Stay tuned for Dave Roe’s obituary, to be released by the family.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51ksaLCxGapqJ1dpK%2BqwNSaqbJlnpbAqcLIpaOeZZKWwLR5y56enqaUYq6vsIyfmKanpah6rsHSopqimZ5isaqx0maYrWVmaXw%3D